Thursday, 26 July 2012

What a year. Part 2 - Malia



so back home fresh from my first year in Uni.

 Moving back home felt horrible. It felt as if I was losing my independence and freedom.. I wasnt really losing anything.. it just feels like it after living away from home.. Its hard to cope with living in a corridor of 20 people the same age as you, located in a building of 250 population ... located on a campus of 1500 people.. 5 minutes away from an equally large campus.. 3000 students. Young people. Such a close knit community people with the same interests. To party like crazy. To get a degree, although most took the .. oh its only first year it doesn't count for anything as long as you pass route.. and just partied 24/7.

But to return home to your parents home.. your old home.. something you feel strange saying.. but over the year, at some point that I cant even recall.. that shoebox of a room crammed full of my stuff.. became home.

Having it taken away from you is a pretty emotional time, with being local to Uni I was one of the last to leave, having to carry all my hall mates belongings to their parents cars and wave them goodbye till next year, it isnt easy. 

I left a few days before we officially had to because I had to pack for the next adventure.


We'd booked Malia month in advance and originally 6 were supposed to go. Due to money issues and people dropping out, only 5 went.

Kayne, Sean, Daniel, Tom and I, all being friends from secondary school and sixth form. With having Uni and being apart from them for a year or two for some.. nobody knew what to expect of the group that had been thrown together from our phonebooks and phonebooks of friends. What we got was an unreal holiday that blew away Sunny Beach 2011. something that smashed any expectation I'd had previous to going.

Drinks the night before the flight in our local Wetherspoons with all the people supposed to come and those that dropped out.

June 12th 

I woke up the day of the flight panicking as I was late getting up and ready.. and still had to run for a haircut, the place I usually go to had an hour long queue.. I had to be at my friends in less time than that..

I found a place called.. The Turkish Barber.. that had opened that day and was empty.. darted in not caring if the place would destroy my mop and jumped in the chair.. I ran to my mums, dived in the shower, got my bag, finished packing and hopped in the car.

We all turned up at our friends house at 2 pm. For some reason the holiday still hadn't hit me, I wasn't feeling excited like I am for any other trip.. we had a brief check of each others suitcases and found Seans mum had packed bacon.. surely meat wouldnt travel well..

BAM !!  University skills come in handy. 

Microwave bacon. DONT KNOCK IT TILL YOU'VE TRIED IT. trust me. its the tastiest crispiest way i've ever had bacon.. if you love bacon cremated to the point you can snap it.. this is for you. nice little pre flight snack for everyone anyway. 

Toms dad skidded up outside the house and we all threw the cases into the car and blasted it to Manchester airport. We got on our plane ... and still.. nothing.. no holiday excitement.. what the hell was wrong with me I have no idea :| it was like finding out father christmas isn't real.. it just wasnt there. 

On the flight into Heraklion, Crete we bought headsets and ended up finding an in flight channel that blasted Disney songs at us.. 5 lads listening to Disney songs.. flying to Malia.. cool kids.. honest. 

We landed in malia and got on the coach.. just us. just 5 of us. we started to panic and think we'd made a horrific mistake coming in June.. 12 lads from Manchester get on.. no girls.. uh oh.. Malia's going to be a sausage fest. gradually more people got on and a couple of girls did.. as soon as they did.. every single lad starts their own chant.. my personal favourite... "SMOKE MEEEEE" from one of the mancs.. that just started it off.. probably the funniest lads we met all holiday. 

We were first off the coach.. being dropped off at McDonalds, we walked up the strip with a hail from everyone of "WELCOME TO MALIA". We already loved it. We ended up dropping our suitcases off at the hotel, we stayed in the Vagelis hotel and were greeted into our corridor of 4 rooms by the first sighting of a Malia victim. We had two rooms .. one double and the other was for 4 people, Dan and Tom went togther in one room and Sean Kayne and I shared the other room.

Absolute state.. the rep put her to bed and we went out for a our first night on the strip. We had a walk down to see what was on offer, harassed by every club rep under the sun.

Found a bar that gave us two triple measure of any drink and a bottle of champagne for 5 Euros each.. straight in.. after we finished we left and staright away bumped into all the Manc lads from the coach. instantly went into Apollo bar and got a ton of shots drinks. ended up in Candy afterwards, probably Malias biggest club, another ton of drinks and we were all wasted... went into Zig Zag to end the night as it was open late and then ended up at the hotel. An insane first night.


Ended up in the swimming pool the next day and had a little walk round the strip in the daytime to check out the shops and get some supplies.. had dinner in a restaurant next to the hotel, I ended up getting the Greek dish Moussaka which was pretty decent.

That night we invited everyone in the hotel to our rooms for a massive pre drink session and some games.. I found 1.5 litres of Tequila for 15 Euros which was cheaper than practically anything else for the sheer amount I got.

Tequila, Beer, Melon Schnapps and a box of noodles kayne somehow managed to fit in his suitcase!? We ended up with sooo many people in our hotel room, there was a load of Irish girls upstairs and all their friends they had met in the same corridor... there was Dee and Sherry next door to us, and then another group from downstairs, all crammed into the double room we had.

just a few of the people mad enough to cram into the room.

So many crazy crazy things happened in the first week, on our third night we travelled miles to a hotel for an after party only to meet a psycho from London who chased out the hotel.. and then proceeded to try and impress some girls by skidding a quadbike.. a skid that turned into a barrel roll.. smashing the quad.. landing on him and probably causing some considerable damage.. funnily enough his flight was at 11am in the morning.. this occuring around 5am

Kayne strolled in one day and woke us up.. "lads.. ive been robbed"... wow.. we have photos with him at 3 am.. he woke us up at 11am.. so somewhere in between he had managed to go missing.. somehow end up in a hotel that wasnt ours.. in a hotel room nobody had checked into, with a £300 watch missing and 50 euros gone from his pocket.. he tried asking the lady at reception to help and she then proceeded to "phone" club 18 - 30 and get someone to come get him.. shortly followed by a call to the police as my friend couldn't pay for the room he'd slept in for the night.. we asked our rep if anyone had phoned 18 - 30 which they hadn't as he would have been informed first.. so either the police were coming for him.. or some dodgy mafia member haha. scary stuff.

We managed to lose Sean one night.. now.. normally if someone wasnt there in the morning we wouldnt be too bothered, but because its Sean.. we panicked, the last place we had seen him was with the Manchester lads.. all we knew of them was their hotel name.. so we walked across Malia to get there.. and had no luck at all.. found him in a restaurant down the strip with two girls that had stayed to look for him.. turns out he was in someones room upstairs all night.. derp

I ended up in a Rock bar called Angels after a shocking performance by Skepta in Candy Club. Such a brilliant place, I ended up having a night repping for them and attempting to stay in Malia for longer.. not realistic this year .. but highly likely for next year! I ended up in a bar the other side of Malia afterwards with a guy called george teaching me how to light black Sambucca in my mouth..

Me, Lizzie and Manos - Legends.

We had a night that lads dressed up as girls and girls dressed as lads... dont know what we were thinking.. but it was hilarious and I ended up wasted. wasted being a huge understatement.

Think the girls got off rather easy looking back at it.. probably one of the funniest nights we had out there. Another victim was discovered.

and another..

This guy went to Malia the year before.. and had stayed in the room next to ours.. he got soo drunk he thought that this was still his room.. we found him lying like this in the morning.. woke him up.. gave him some water and let him get himself together and let the pain from his face go away haha.

we found him in our hotel bar the next night back on it. what a guy.

Near the end of the first week I was persuaded into getting a piercing.. my first ever piercing.. something I'd kind of always wanted to do.. So anyway, we went into Malia Ink and I ended up walking out 10 minutes later with my Septum pierced..

luckily not very visible.. didnt want something crazy and massive on show.. got a small bar in my nose.

At the end of the first week as everyone we knew was packing and leaving.. I stood on something.. which hurt but I just shook off as nothing.. went for a meal and said bye to people.. then passed out in my bed.. I woke up halfway through the night in pain and noticed red lines running across my foot from where I had stood on something.. I decided to see a doctor..

So the next day I got all my insurance details and headed to the medical centre..

it was 80 euros JUST TO SEE A DOCTOR .. excess on top of my insurance..


I knew I would need treatment and ended up paying 94 Euros up front to the centre.. I was told I had Lymphangitis at the time I had no idea what this was.. so I ended up having an xray .. and a blood test.

mates having a whale of a time whilst im giving blood..

got to keep the xray.. best holiday souvenir ever. I went and got a full english while my blood was tested.. went back and had my foot cut open.. a piece of glass taken out.. and my foot bandaged..

Turns out I had stood on glass and got BLOOD POISONING.

Not something I wanted.. entire second week of holiday on antibiotics. NIGHTMARE. at least I could sunbathe and enjoy the beach .. and eventually swim

The end of the first week meant only one thing. Another mad hotel room party to meet all the newcomers! We had another mad night with everyone crammed into our room and met Sophie, Mel, Nayde and Sarah

they were our second week legends :) we spent practically the entire week with both day and night.. I say night.. they ended up getting dragged into bars for free drinks and getting us landed with decent drink deals in return for them getting on all the bars haaa luckily nobody got robbed or went missing in the second week..

I stayed in a few nights due to not being able to drink but the whole week just built up and led up to one thing.

Thats right A HUGE FOOD FIGHT!!.... of pasta wheatabix egg tomato mushroom and ended with tom getting a mouthful of flour and throwing up in a sink.. that wasn't really what everything led up to.. I just didnt know where to include it.. everything actually led up to..

The final night. 

I drank on the last night of the holiday having just finished the antibiotics for my blood poisoning. 

We started with a fishbowl full of every spirit and mixer we had left over which included..

Sambucca, Tequila, Melon Schnapps, Vodka, Gin, Whisky and we took it to the bar.. 

We couldnt finish it alone so invited a group of girls over who poured their vodka cranberry in.. and then left without drinking any.. so we ended up all plastered. we ended up in so many clubs and bars.

candy was packed out and we ended up staying until we got kicked out! we had lost a fair few people as the night went on so decided to go to the beach to see if we could find people, we ended up finding Sophie and Mel at the beach. Soon after Sean Sophie and I ended up in the sea.. fully clothed loving life until about 7 am.

Our final vicitm. passed out on an ice cream freezer. legendary

Malia beach at stupid o'clock in the morning.

 Walking back to the hotel from the beach we met Emily. yes. thats a henna tattoo on her head. she was absolutely crazy and kept asking people if they liked her tattoo.. "Like my tattoo!? I got Emily tattoo'd on my head".. people would look at her and be a bit edgy and go.. "ermm.. you do know it says.. C.." and she would bark back at them . "E M I L Y. yes I told them to do it".. just to see their faces.. actually hilarious..

Leaving Malia was horrible.

We spent the whole day in double room which we paid to keep till later on as our coach to the airport was 11pm.. I woke up at 11.30 am and we had to be out of the room by 12.. nightmare.. threw everything in my bag and threw it in the double room.

We got on our flight a little earlier as everyone checked in and we got home about 8 am. Such an amazing holiday.

Lara the parrot from Yiasou bar, Whilst everyone watched the Euros footy matches I spent my time trying and eventually succeeding at getting this parrot on my arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment